Dutch Fort

Mattakalappu district is seated on the eastern coast of the island, Tamil Eelam. As the district consists of three famous lagoons and surrounded by Indian Ocean to the East, it is rich in aquatic creatures. This result in providing a moral name “Land of the singing fish”. The natives believe that you can listen to the musical sound of fish (aquatic creatures ) near the Maddakalappu lagoon, especially on full moon day. They relate to some some believable evidence and the sound broadcasted by Sri Lanka Broadcasting Corporation is one among them.

Mattakalappus’s Old Dutch Fort was built by the Portuguese in 1628. It is actually called “Dutch” as it was captured by the Dutch 10 years later. It is a square structure with 4 bastions, bordered by the lagoon on two sides. Old canons can be seen. Nowadays, it shelters the offices of the District Secretary. There is a governmental plan to move out the governmental offices and to turn the Fort into a museum and conference hall in future.

District : Batticaloa

Location : Puliyanthivu‘s island,Tamil Eelam

About Fort:

  • The Fort in Mattakalappu lies on a one of the many small islands of Mattakalappu in the east coast of Tamil Eelam. It was built by the Portuguese in 1628 after a Dutch fleet landed in Mattakalappu in 1902 to visit the then King of Kandy to win foot hold of the country. This infuriated the Portuguese who had a firm holding in the Island and built a small fort 1628. It was captured by the Dutch in 1638 when King Rajasinghe of the Kandyan Kingdom requested them to banish the Portuguese from the country. The fort changed hands again in 1772 after it was surrendered to British.

  • The fort is a structure of four bastions and protected by the sea from 2 sides and with a moat from the other 2 sides. The fort has important ancient religious significance because of a Buddhist stupa and Chatra dating back to 1st centaury BC from the Ruhuna kingdom of King Kavantissa.